Right now I'm figuring out my life-where I'm going & what I'm doing. Its exciting and scary at the same time. I don't know where I'll be in 5 years, but as of right now I'm here & I love where I am. I love classic old movies, dresses, pearls, high heels, reading, being with the people i love, the way books smell, moments that should last forever, the sound high heels make on hard floors, babies, libraries, sweet romantic kisses, old hollywood glamour, anything vintage, song lyrics that describe my life, rain storms & dark chocolate. I'm a huge dork. But life is fun that way. I love life. Sometimes I wish I had the feistiness of Scarlett from Gone With the Wind, the fashion sense of Coco Chanel, & that I was a dead ringer for Audrey Hepburn. I've learned alot about who I am & I have learned to love who I am. So even though I'm always and forever late, daydream a little too much, talk way before I think, spend just a bit too much money, & sleep in longer than is necessary, I love who I am & I'm not afraid to be myself. I love life-the surprises & adventures it brings. I enjoy every second of every day. I may not have any clue as to where I'm going, but I absolutely love the ride!

Music I Like


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Back in my day....

I remember back in the day, when I was a young girl, not so long ago, when the most popular love-story-movie was Titanic. Oh Titanic. Titanic, Titanic, Titanic. How I still love you. I was in 5th grade when I first saw the magic. First experienced the love. First felt heartache. First realized how important it was to have passion for life and go after what you really, truly want (and to not go sailing).
Even though I was only 11, I thought to myself these very thoughts: I want to look just like Rose when I grow up-I want to have curves like hers, her amazing dresses, her wild hair, and I want a handsome, sweet, man who is crazy in love with me, who'd do anything to be with me, like Jack. One who will make me feel alive and free. And I want an epic love story like this to sweep me off my feet. I'd always been quite the dramatic child, but when I saw this movie, I had hope in my eyes, and I knew I wanted an epic, dramatic, tear-jerking, heart-pounding, life-changing, earth-shaking, multi-million-dollar love story when I grew up.
I was in 5th grade, barely learning my times tables, and that movie made me feel all of that (don't worry, I closed my eyes in the nude scenes. I was very naive back then). I even checked out every single book the local library had about Titanic. I was obsessed with learning about the actual facts and real-life stories, that the movie which taught me about love, was based upon.
Well, these days, instead of handsome, sweet, debonair Jack and gorgeous Rose being whisked away into freezing water during their steamy affair, after passionately kissing on the edge of the most historical ship ever, in the perfect glow of a beautiful sunset with music being played by angels from the heavens, (oh I still rewind that part 10 times every time I watch it), these days we have ravenous emo-skinny vampires and pouty, trying-to-hard werewolf teens chasing after the same whiny, annoying, not-that-cute, girl in Twilight.
Where is the passion?! The romance?! The great dresses?! The sunset kiss?! The feelings of love and tearjerking sadness?! The record breaking theme song?! The music played by angels in the sunset?! The historical ship?! I bet you Twilight doesn't inspire little 5th graders today all the things Titanic inspired me to go after when I was in 5th grade. Compare the two....I'm so glad I'm not a young girl these days. Oh dear Titanic, thank you for teaching me all about true love and life....Dear Twilight, ... ... you're ugly.

This = amazing.

This = not amazing.


Speaking of nostalgia from my days as a young thing, remember when cartoons used to be amazing? When Saturday mornings were something near to heaven because all the cool cartoons came on before sunrise? When cartoons had substance and life lessons and humor all rolled into one? Yeah, they aren't even close to that anymore. I happened to see a tid bit of a new fandangled cartoon, and I was like, is this some kind of anti-drug commercial? Cuz this is what it must feel like to be on spice. Or hemp. Or nicotine....Or some kind of drug.

Also, remember when Barbie was everything BUT a hooker???! In my day she was a teacher, a dentist, a gymnast, a daycare runner, a dr, a vet, a fashion-forward-kind-to-all-super-chic-smart-as-heck-classy gal, one whom I aspired to be just like when I grew up. Perhaps she inspired my love of heels. In fact I think she did. Now a days, she looks less like chic, style and class and more like a cheap piece of a**. I hope Ken isn't paying too much....

This is the kind barbies I had as a child. Smart, well dressed, kind, pretty, elegant.

This is what young kids have these days! No Barbie! Don't drop out of school! Astronaut school isn't that expensive! There's better ways to earn tutition! Tell Ken to stop drinking! Where did your hopes and dreams go!


I was getting worried about Disney there for a while too. Movies like the Princess and the Frog made me realize how lucky I was to grow up with Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty,The Lion King, you know, the greats. But then I went and saw Tangled. Disney totally redeemed themselves. It was just as good as the classics with all the must haves of a great fairy tale: Beautiful princess sings to animals in the forest and woo's them (which is good because all those animals will come to her aid in a time of turmoil). Handsome prince rescues said princess from some sort of wicked step parental/guardian, in the end a life lesson is learned that we, as the audience, can apply to everyday life. Charming animation for the kids, and witty humor for the adults. Thank you Disney. I absolutely loved it.


One thing I don't miss is school as a kid and having school more often than not. College is great. I don't miss sitting by the smelly kid in class. Or having to deal with clicky girls. Or ego-tistical boys. Or all that other elementary school drama. College is different. Now I deal with real life grown up things.
Examples: There were these girls in one class that were so snotty. They thought they were better than everyone else cuz they were about to graduate. I didn't tell them I was probably older than them, but that I just changed my major so I was starting over. They gave me attitude because I knew they thought I was a freshman.Ew.
There was this really annoying boy in another class that thought he was hot stuff and had to answer every question because he thought he was really smart. Really, he was dumb.
And there were two boys in one class that smelled like BO and onions and burritos almost every other day.
Math is really, really, really hard.
All the wanna be kids sit in one area of the classroom. All the cool kids sit in another.
The boys are scared to talk to the girls.
There is a really annoying girl that tries to act dumb to win over all the idiot boys' approval.
I think I'm my teacher's favorite in one class cuz I always say hi to him outside of class and write an extra page than is required in my papers.
One kid wouldn't share his snack with me.
In one class we took a field trip. It was fun. I liked it.
I had to eat lunch alone and I think people were whispering about me at the other table because I was all alone. I mentioned I had a boyfriend, but that he was gone right now, but was coming back soon. They thought he was imaginary.
One kid laughed at me in one class cuz I didn't do as well as him on a quiz and announced it to the whole class. He is mean.
This one kid, who sucks up to the teacher, got a better grade than me on a project, even though mine was prettier.
I got in trouble for talking in one class, but it wasn't me who started it, it was the kid next to me.
And one time these kids got mad at me cuz I said I would hang out with them and now they don't really talk to me cuz I didn't hang out with them.
And once this kid was trying to look on my paper during a test, so I hid my answers with my arm.
And once it was a kids birthday so he brought treats.
Oh and one time a kid farted in class and everyone laughed.
The nice thing about college is I don't have to go 9 months of the year consecutively. Since I just finished I have 3 months off now...In the winter...I miss summer breaks.
Ya know, the more I think about it the more I think college and elementary school equal the same thing.

Remember when you wanted to be something cool when you grew up? Like a top fashion desingers epic & legendary model, or a movie star, or a novel writer? Or maybe a princess? Or maybe a video game designer or perhaps work in the firework booths? (yes, those were all things I wanted to be at one point in my life.)
And remember how when you grow up you all you really want is for time to stop, and to pause right exactly where you are, cuz where you are is happy and you have all you need and all you want right now in this very moment and all the people you love are here and you're so scared life is flying by quicker than you're able to keep up with and hold on to and you don't dare blink cuz you're so afraid you'll miss it all and you're terrified that all of a sudden you'll be 99 with grey hair and you won't even recognize the woman you see when you look in the mirror and you'll miss your loved ones and your younger days and you'll long for those days, when you could wear a size 2 but still eat Taco Bell everyday and your boyfriend surprised you with flowers and you couldn't wait to marry the man and how you felt the first time he kissed you and how it felt to be loved and you laughed so hard you cried for no reason at all and you fell in love and that one time you went dancin with your friends and danced like no one was watching because you had never laughed so hard in your life and you got mad when it snowed and you hated waking up before 8 AM, and your best friend would send you funny texts about his cat and your fiancee called you his fiancee before he proposed and your mom went shopping with you and still made you dinner and did your laundry when you went home to visit and was your best friend and your grandparents were your heroes and you spent all your money on shoes and purses and how wonderful it felt to be young and alive and in love and how important you felt after winning silly awards your first semester as a school reporter and how you couldn't wait to have kids and how he pulled you close and slow danced with you to that song called yellow and how junk food was your biggest addiction and how you related your life to TV shows and how you used song lyrics to describe the deep feelings of your soul and how you loved to dance in the rain and how making up stories to complete strangers was your favorite past time and how you could spend every waking hour with that wonderful man you love and how that pile of clothes on your floor never got hung up permanently and how you wanted to see the entire world and live to be 115 years old and how you had the world in front of you, challenging you to make your dreams come true and to go after everything you'd always wanted since you were that 11 year old, watching Titanic for the first time, with hope in your eyes that you'd have that earth-shattering, multi-million dollar love story and passion for life.


Anyways, my point is, all I know is, I'm glad I'm not a young kid these days. Toys, cartoons, and movies are not as good they were when I was young.

I miss my childhood sometimes. It was so wonderful.

I love my life. Its beautiful. Yep, everything about it. You should love yours too. They are wonderful things. They fly by faster than you want them to I've noticed. And yes, I found that multi-million dollar movie love. He's wonderful.

6 comments:

Jim and Diane Jaspersen said...

oh this made me cry, and laugh, and appreciate the old things... movies and toons.
I love that you love Dave and I love this post!!
You're a great writer! Love you!
Mom

Dee said...

I loved this blog entry!!!!!!! I have been reading you ;) Dee your cousin Nate's Wife

Laura said...

oh i loved this! you write so well. I miss the good old days, too!
~cousin Laura

Whittney and Ryan said...

Oh Titanic, the BEST! Disney movie were way better "back in our day" I have yet to see Tangled ( i for sure will) but I have heard this is the last princess movie Disney is making EVER! Loved this post!

The Martins said...

I remember watching Titanic with you - I loved that show! I can't wait to see Tangled. It sounds awesome.

I love this post. I love your writing - you are so fun and I love the thoughts you shared.

We need to get together again! Come over sometime!

Sarah J said...

oh thanks everyone :) i just like to write about things. i dono how good i am, but thanks it means a lot! i'm glad you all read my blog!